Introducing Amazon Linux 2
Last month Amazon has released its own Linux version named Amazon Linux 2 and started offering to enterprise customers. It provided to customer as an Amazon Linux 2 is available as an Amazon Machine Image (AMI) for use on Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (AmazonEC2). It can also used as Docker container including Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS).It will also available for Virtual machine like VMware, Oracle VM VirtualBox, and Microsoft Hyper-V virtualization, KVM platforms for various for local and testing purpose.
Amazon Linux 2 main features:-
- It has LTS Kernel (4.9) tuned for enhanced performance on Amazone EC2 . Also have modern execution environment and compiler
- This also include systemd init system support, this way it used to bootstrap the user space as well as manage system processes.
- New version of tools present (gcc 7.2.1, glibc 2.25, binutils 2.27).All vital software available such as Python, MariaDB, Node.js using Amazon Linux Extras repository.
- As it is Linux, it is provided at no additional charges.We can Install and Practice this software for local with Docker and Virtualization platform, we can download its images through Amazon link. With these test beds Developers could test their application using Amazon Linux 2, which could later use on production setup.
- This operating system has 5 years of long-term support and access to latest software using Amazon Linux Extra repository.
- Amazon Linux 2 also support latest EC2 instance features and capabilities, it is tuned to enhanced performance with EC2 and has packages to integrate with various AWS services.
- It also follow various security measures like other Linux distributions like using SSH key pair, disabling root ssh, try to reduce non-critical packages to minimize exposure to potential security vulnerabilities. Security updates rated “critical” or “important” are automatically applied on the initial boot.
As above mentioned Amazon Linux 2 has all important feature and support that one modern Linux distribution should have, we could say this would big Jump for Amazon in terms of Software market in which they start providing software to customer.